Tuesday, November 30, 2010

5 Completely Unrelated Songs

Ah, Tuesdays. You never notice how they sneak up on you until you have to blog on them during the last week of classes. This is the week that everything is due, frantic studying begins and you look ahead to the upcoming break fondly until you realize that, before you can relax and recover from sleep-deprivation, it's going to get exponentially worse in a two-week time span. As a result of this madness, my post is going to be on the short and unplanned side. I think you'll agree it's for a good cause: my final English paper about the assumed law of fantasy worlds that creatures can exclusively be or use magic. Hopefully, it will turn out to be the spectacular conclusion to my series of odd papers (including an argument on techno and an analysis of Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword).


Today, I will comment on the five newest additions to my favorites on Grooveshark (because it's amazing) excluding techno songs I've already talked about.


No. 5 in G Minor by Johannes Brahms
Here is an entirely too brief piece that is fast-paced, upbeat and generally exciting (with a few artistically-placed slow sections). There are three main sections of the melody that work together extremely well. The entire piece is done with the typical Baroque system of composition and, as such, it is well-balanced in all four parts (soprano, alto, tenor and bass).


Fame by Irene Cara
I perpetually forget about this song due to not having seen the original musical. However, this is a great song if only for blasting and singing in the car. It's not nearly as negative or annoying as most everything I can find on the radio and it stays well enough out of the mezzo soprano range that a great many people can sing it without any impossible sections.


Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
There is no denying the allure of this song. It is a work of pure genius (or insanity, it's hard to tell) and is the single greatest song to play while on a bus or, if there are enough people present, car. Granted, it's also good for singing alone, but no matter what it must be done at full volume. The only reason this is just now on my favorites list is because someone incorrectly changed the name of the one I had favorited before.


What Is Love by Haddaway
I love this song with a passion largely due to the memories (ironically of band camp) that I associate with it and because it is an addictively fun song. As with many on my list, it is made to be blasted out of whatever music-playing device you have at the time though I suggest you not do it with headphones on. It's just generally a bad idea to blast things with headphones on, but the treble in this might make your head explode (Disclaimer: No evidence of this phenomenon has been collected other than the pain in my head).


He's a Pirate by Klaus Badelt
If you don't like this song, there may be something psychologically wrong. I cannot properly express the many reasons why it is a work of art aside from following traditional composition in unexpected ways. Ignore, for a moment, the pirates vs. ninjas debate and listen to how epic this song is (if that alone is why you don't listen to the song, shame on you). It is now on my favorites list due to someone sending me the infinitely inferior remix which prompted me to find all PotC music and use it as homework motivation.


This concludes the November edition of my music posts. I will write to you all next week though it will be later in the day because of an interfering final.

A presto!

~ Entropy

No comments:

Post a Comment