Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Thlenthaktu the Thakfully Thelmenerous.

Irrelevant titles FTW!

So I was rudely awakened this morning by my brother shouting up the stairs, "AARON! Come down immediately - it's really important!"
"Mehhh, what is it."
"There's a BAT in the house!"
"A what?"
Turned out there was a bat in the house. He points over into the room we don't really have a name for other than "green room" because it's green, and there's this little tarantula-looking thing running along the floor. I approached closer and it really was a live bat. Of course, when my dad saw it he had to ask how I was sure it was a bat and not a tarantula.
"How are you sure that' sa bat and not a tarantula or something?"
"'Cuz it has ridiculously long front limbs... actually, because it's shaped like a bat."
After all, bats do have a distinctive bat shape, as this one demonstrated when it unfolded its wings a bit and showed how very bat-shaped it was. So I stood there puzzling what I was going to do about it. I was handed a bucket and a piece of cardboard, apparently because since I've made a reputation for myself as the family bug-catching expert, by extension I must also be the bat-catching expert. So I catchified it with the bucket. It wasn't quite like a bug though, because bugs don't start squeaking when you corner them.
Why it didn't fly away, I'm not so sure. Either it was injured, or I think I might have learned somewhere that bats can't take off from the ground and need to climb up something first. At least I think it was bats... Either bats or ladybugs, one of those two.
Anyway, I left the bat on the porch and hoped it found a nice cozy shelter before the snow started falling. Yeah, that was the other weird thing about today, was that it was snowing for some reason IN MARCH. My literature class had a snowball fight, in the classroom. Someone had run outside and grabgbed a hunk of snow and people were throwing snow across the room at each other.
What a weird day.

No comments:

Post a Comment